Storing notes inside the file folder

Yes, this option.

Yes, folder 23.14 would exist in my structure and would contain those files.

For versions, one of the ‘exceptions to the rules’ that I allow is the creation of an ‘archive’ folder within a JD folder. So then you’d have:

└── 20-29 Personal projects/
    └── 23 Home renovations/
        └── 23.14 New garden verandah/
            ├── archive/
            │   ├── Calculations v1.xlsx
            │   ├── Calculations v2.xlsx
            │   ├── Calculations v3.xlsx
            │   ├── Presentation v1.ppt
            │   └── Presentation v2.ppt
            ├── Calculations v4.xlsx
            ├── Presentation v3.ppt
            └── Picture.jpg

In this case, build a new garden verandah is the task, which is equivalent to a JD ID assuming the project doesn’t grow too large.

I made an analogy elsewhere on this forum:

For me, a project is a large activity with many many activities. A task is just something I have to do that might have half a dozen activities.

Building a new house is a project. Painting the garage (that’s already attached to your existing house) is a task.

I guess it depends how fancy the verandah is going to be, whether you’re getting builders involved, whether it involves structural change to the house. That sounds like a project. Or are you just going to the hardware store and buying some wood and coming home that afternoon and putting it together? That’s a task. :upside_down_face:

As long as you can find the files you need without stress it does not matter.

You might also, if it’s helpful, have notes related to the project. Your note might look like this.

23.14 Build a new verandah

Building material notes

• I looked in the store and the marine ply seems like better value than the pine. $4/metre vs. $15/metre and easier to work with.
  • Product code for the marine ply is 0341-331.
  • The guy in the store said they were getting stock on Tuesday.

Colour notes

• Spoke to Lucy, she prefers Pantone #145.
  • There’s a sample in the drawer in the garage.

…and so on.