Quick Start: translations? 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇮🇩 🇲🇾

Emailed! Danish table is here, German’s next to it. Amazing. :denmark:

https://baserow.io/database/134862/table/353849/617124

Thanks! Oh interesting, now the structure is showing cultural differences. That’s mad.

Had I still been primarily British there’s no way that would have been health insurance. Alas, I live in Australia now. It’s not as bad as you-know-where but private health insurance is essentially mandatory here.[1]

1. They’ve structured the tax system such that, if you earn above a nominal threshold, you get taxed more than the insurance would have cost if you choose not to have private insurance. ↩︎

1 Like

I don’t think I have an invite to the table and I’m dead tired tonight after a long week-end away. I did my best to make the translation relevant to how things work in France. It might not be a litteral translation nor the exact equivalent of the original system.
But, still :
11.11 Acte de naissance & livret de famille
11.20 Santé et bien-être
11.21 Assurance maladie, mutuelle & relevés
11.22 Examens médicaux & analyses

I’m not sure what exactly is “registrations” in the original 11.22 : I understand it to be related the health records but don’t know for sure what it is.
Mayby 11.22 should just be “Dossier médical” in French. That would cover any blood test results, record of any health issue, X-ray result etc.

That’s my sleep deprived contribution for now. I’ll revisit tomorrow evening with a clearer mind.

Ah sorry, looks like I never sent you one. French is complete! The table is here once you’re logged in, just sent you an invite.

https://baserow.io/database/134862/table/346831/602888

(I wish I could make this public-read-only like you can with Airtable, but it doesn’t seem possible.)

I’m British and do not see health insurance as odd. It feels a bit Americany, but it is something I would still use and something that I think is becoming slowly more common in the UK. not all healthcare is free and some people are beginning to opt for private healthcare in some way. the NHS bursting beyond the seams pre covid is in even more trouble post Covid.

Opticians/glasses insurance and care plans, NHS orthodontists for low income families are hard to come by, and most orthodontist services aren’t free for anybody over 16 years so lots of people pay privately.

There are lack of NHS psychiatrists particularly for ADHD diagnosis so lots are opting to go private and that can come with care plans and medication and perhaps documentation you’d want to keep but I’m not sure if that would then be more of a general health category…

Status update

(I’m not nagging anyone to finish! I’m still ages away from doing anything useful with this. Ah you know what, I’ll at least export it and drop a spreadsheet here. So if you want to use it personally, you can. I realised you can create shared views! Have linked them to the language in the table. :slight_smile:)

1 Like

Sadly, here in Italy is very much the same

Sorry, been away and busy on a mixture of holidays and new job start.

Starting next week I should have more time. How does one edit the baserow?

Also, standard arabic is a very formal language. There is absolutely a “correct” way to say things, but it tends to be not brief. Extra not brief if we starting including “funny” adjectives, like in “my amazing career”.

“Inbox” for example would literally translate to “صندوق الوارد” which would translate back in english to “Box for incoming things”. Colloquially, I’d rather refer to “incomings” (الواردات) rather than “inbox”, as that captures the essence of what will be stored rather than the vehicle of storage.

What’s the policy on “essence of the thing” vs. “literal translation”, Johnny?

EDIT: Arabic speakers are non-unified on a flag that can represent speakers of the language. There are three major schools of thought. The one that would cause no offense is to use the flag of the UAE. :united_arab_emirates: It contains all the correct colours of the original flag colours of Arabia, with none of the border-politicking of either Saudi or Egypt (both countries I have positive relationships with, but understand other arabs who might not for various reasons).

I can help with German, as I am a native speaker.

1 Like

Hello! Thank you, but German is done. :beers: :de:

1 Like

Thanks, @johnnydecimal, I managed to access the table.
Sadly I’m a bit late to the translating party, so many thanks to @Mentat and @Fabrice for stepping up and doing the job :grinning: .
I find it interesting how on some items I would have gone a different way for the translation. And if they’re both ok and open to it, I’d like to discuss a couple of things : my intent is simply to work and ensure you get the best translation possible, the translation is fine as it is, I’m just nitpicking :slight_smile:
Out of curiosity : can you explain what you mean by “registrations” in “health records & registrations” the same way you explained what you had in mind with the “proof of name” catch all (btw, here too our id card / passport / drivers license is what we use for proof of name) ?

1 Like

I just sent you an invitation. Arabic is here.

Essence of the thing! Take any liberty with your language as you see fit.

I wondered about that. The Baserow table is currently called ‘Arabic ع’. I’ll change it to the UAE flag. Interesting bit of geopolitical history there, thanks!

I’ll quote from the quick start index:

Any ‘offical’ paperwork about your health status.
e.g. immunisation records, blood or organ donation registrations, a doctor’s letter confirming a health condition or prescription needed for travel.

(If any of the kind translators don’t have a copy of the ‘life admin’ pack, let me know and I’ll send it to you.)

Hi, completely new here. Not sure how the progress of Arabic translation is going, I could potentially assist once I’m more familiar with the system.

One thing to note in Arabic is the different dialects each country uses (sometimes multiple dialects are used within the same country…).

Being mindful of that would suggest narrowing the use only to Modern Standard Arabic and avoiding any colloquial/dialect terms as they can be completely foreign from one Arabic speaking country to another, potentially even having misleading meanings, or being culturally inappropriate. All Arabic speaking countries read and understand Modern Standard Arabic, so it would be safer to stick to that.

Thanks @johnnydecimal ! Both for the answer and for reminding me to rtfm in a very kind and patient manner :slight_smile: