Quick Start: translations? 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇮🇩 🇲🇾

Amazing! I never dreamed I’d have Russian translations. So cool.

A note to my kind translators. We made a conscious style choice with longer titles that have multiple items, like

11.32 My thoughts, journalling, diaries, & other writing

The style choice is:

1. Commas between all items.
  2. Including after the final item because any other way is insanity and you’re wrong.
  3. Replacing the word ‘and’ with an ampersand, to save space.

Because as a full and complete sentence, the above would just be

11.32 My thoughts, journalling, diaries, and other writing

Which is perfect English.

I was going to say, please keep this style, but @_FJ has already broken rank and said that this isn’t a Dutch thing so he’s not going to do it. /shakes fist at the Dutch :wink:

So my request is:

1. Decide whether to do this or not. I’m cool if you don’t want to because it’s weird in your language. But
  2. Be consistent.

:pray:

1 Like

Did some research: komma voor ‘en’ | Genootschap Onze Taal
It is an option in Dutch but only if extra clarification is needed, not at the end of a list (‘opsomming’ in Dutch).

1 Like

Sure, using an & sign is unusual in Russian; the more is that a comma sign along together with a union ‘and’ are grammatically incorrect in Russian. Such a notion is forbidden and will be perceived as suspicious by native Russians.

Also, there are a lot of concepts in “Life admin” that are absent in russian life. I will point them out later.

At the very beginning I should say that “Me & other living things” I have translated as “Me and all-all-all”. The literal translation will be incomprehensible. But, there is a translation of A. A. Milne’s book “Winnie-the-Pooh” into Russian that is known by every russian and the name of the translated book is “Winnie-the-Pooh and all-all-all”, where all-all-all are other living things that live along with Winie. Thus, the expression “and all-all-all” is absolutely clear for Russians and means exactly all living things that live with you. That is why there is no literal translation.

3 Likes

Amazing! I love this. Thanks for putting so much thought in to it.

And if anyone says ‘why didn’t you just get ChatGPT to do translations’, this is why. :hugs:

1 Like

Hi!
I can do Italian.
I can also do Spanish, wich is already taken by @Quijote_Libre, but, after all, 4 eyes should see better than 2

1 Like

With me are two and half eyes, not four :rofl:

2 Likes

Dear colleagues! Could someone explain to me what does the 11.11 ID item’s “proof of name” mean? There is no such document in Russia. It is possible to change the name, but a person is just getting a new passport here.

We used it as a bit of a ‘catch-all’, not really knowing what else people might have there.

In Australia your ‘proof of name’ is also generally your passport & drivers licence. But we weren’t sure that maybe in some countries if you legally change your name you might also get e.g. a court document.

So it’s more a description of a concept vs. one specific thing.

Thanks so much! I’ve invited you, the Italian table is here.

https://baserow.io/database/134862/table/350835/611438

1 Like

I have done a quick translation, in which it is important to note:

• The translation is being done by a Spaniard from the point of view of the Spanish I am dealing with, which may make it different for other versions of the Spanish language.
  • In the next few days, I’m going to revise it to see if there are things I can improve.

Apart from the above, and as a matter of advice, there are two IDs (11.82 and 14.31) that for me should be one or two areas, as they are the core of what I spend my free time with, and I would appreciate any suggestions as to how they should be evolved.

Thanks Johnny for your Work

1 Like

Thanks for the translation effort! Spanish will certainly be an interesting one, I can see everyone having a view on how things should be.

Yes, 11.82 Hobbies & learning should really be considered a starter, and for anything that outgrows a simple subfolder then you should be looking to make that its own category or possibly even area.

Similarly 14.31 My blog, while you could plausibly store all of the actual blog content there, it’s more likely in a folder with other ‘code’. But you can still use 14.31 to note where that is. Again, if it’s a major element of your life, promote it to its own category.

If you still need support in French, I am in.

Thanks! Invitation sent. French is coming along nicely, perhaps ping @Mentat first to make sure they’re not working on the rest.

I’m happy for this thread to be used for translator-coordination. In fact I’ll make a little table…

Language Translators Progress
Arabic ع @clappingcactus 0%
Brazilian Portuguese :brazil: @flythroughlogic 0%
Dutch :netherlands: @_FJ @hans 100%
French :fr: @mentat @Phoebe @Fabrice 54%
German :de: @phlpptmpl 100%
Italian :it: @julian @Spinal1865 35%
Russian :ru: @Evgeny 100%
Spanish :es: @Quijote_Libre @julian 100%

Also FYI I’ll use this exercise to force me to build some sort of system-generating tool. See this little rant to understand why I need that. So there’s no rush on this stuff, I’m at least a month away from having that done.

This kindness from you all makes the hairs on my neck stand up. It’s so cool. Thank you all so much. xo

Oh yeah if any of you don’t already have a JD sticker and you want one, just DM or email me your address!

1 Like

If needed, I can help Julian with Italian.

1 Like

Amazing, invited! Italian’s here.

One comment: the English column can be sorted from A to Z. This will help to have consistent translations as some words are used in different categories and may be translated in a slightly different way…

1 Like

I can do Danish and German. If you’re interested, send me a link :slight_smile:

Yes please! I’m at 38% so there is still plenty to do.

Also, feel free to correct what is already done, if something doesn’t sound right. Italian is my 2nd language, and even if I’m fully proficient, sometimes you can’t tell I’m not madrelingua

1 Like

Thanks! The first draft for the translation should be done.

A fun matter of culture: in Italy, almost everybody makes use of the NHS, so ID 11.21 being health insurance is a bit weird