Quick Start: ‘Life admin’ support topic

Sorry for all the posting; I took the Life Admin pack as a motivation to get back into JD after more than a year away so I’m re-reading everything: website, workbook, LA, forums.

First, a suggestion. It seems that JD has evolved/changed significantly over the last 2 years, and there is some conflicting info between the website, the workbook, and the LA pack. Of course, it’s impossible to update everything immediately. But it would be very useful to have a page on the website with a short description of “major changes” in JD that someone could scan to help them figure out if they are misunderstanding something on the website vs. you guys improved/changed how you talk about something, like projects vs systems.

My question is an example, I don’t know if I’m misunderstanding something or if something changed. In LA p. 11, it shows an ID folder with dated subfolders:

Based on the website, I thought it was a rule not to have subfolders under ID folders (excluding rare exceptions). From https://johnnydecimal.com/10-19-concepts/11-core/11.06-saving-files/:

• “Never ever do this - A very important note: you may not store things anywhere other than in a folder with a full Johnny.Decimal number.”
  • “Nothing is more than two levels deep - You must not create a folder inside a Johnny.Decimal folder. If you do, you’ve created chaos.”

So, are dated folders now a recommended common exception to this rule? Or is it now ok/recommended to have dated (and undated?) subfolders within ID folders? I worry about mixing dated subfolders and regular files inside an ID folder, in part because folders and files sort differently in my file explorer/finder, and that breaks my sense of “everything in this folder is at the same mental level”.

Thanks for your guidance!

You make a good point. I’m a single parent and have an 11 year old boy and 5 year old girl attending different schools, oldest has a lot of educational challenges but not medical, youngest has a lot of medical challenges and is neurodiverse, I never do medical or health appointments with my children together as it is easier to do them separately. Different hobbies and interests, personalities, and they have different Dads so a different family each so to speak. Different family medical histories etc. I would not want to mix our records incase either Dad needed them…it would be much easier to share individual folders. Very basic things I will duplicate with mine, like passports, medical number, but the majority would work best with their own home.

Just give each their own ‘life admin’ area?

And for the kids maybe delete all the other stuff that obviously isn’t relevant, so it’s clean. Only what you need in there.

Then the numbers are cohesive. Your birth certificate is at 11.11, hers is at 21.11, his is at 31.11.

1 Like

Lots of good questions here, so I did you a video by way of blog post. Hope it clarifies.

3 Likes

THAT’S customer service! Thank you so much for the video.

2 Likes

Great video, thanks!! How long until you release the small business workbook?

Hi, I’m just getting started with my JD system using the Quick Start even though I’ve had the Workbook for a while. In reviewing the Quick Start, I’m looking for recommendations for a few items:

1. Recreational vehicles, such as travel trailer, boat, etc. They often have their own sets of complexities, manuals for appliances, task lists for winterization, storage contracts, etc. So 12.30 and/or 12.33 seem a bit limiting. Trying to weigh having a single 12.37 vs. more like 12.60-69

2. Life Insurance? 13.23 seems like the closest, but…

3. It feels like Estate Planning should be it’s own ID so that it’s all wrapped up in one place for somebody who’s trying to make sense of all this. Thoughts?

4. Pool / spa pool / hot tub / sauna – could be a lot going on here, seems like a lot for 12.10-19

I look forward to hearing some suggestions. Thanks for providing such a great resource!

Insightful video! The analogies really helped me clarify how broad/narrow IDs should be. Evolving from “a specific bit of work” to “place where you do some work” also makes me think of how we tend to approach our work in 2024: you need to minimize distractions and get into that flow state. Set a pomodoro, switch your devices to Do Not Disturb, and put on some lo-fi. JD does something similar. Let all the noise outside the current ID fade into the background so you can focus on the various tasks at hand.

Early on I gave into using subfolders as needed, and I’m still far more organized than I’ve ever been. Seems like one would have to try pretty hard to take a reasonably thought-out ID and create so many subfolders that it becomes chaos again. Even then, they could just turn it into a category and fix it.

2 Likes

I think 12.33 Mechanics, repairs, & maintenance is the right place, and then create neat subfolders per-machine. Possibly starting with the year of either manufacture or purchase of that machine? Depends how many you have.

Ideally then if all of these machines have similar items – manuals, task lists, storage contracts – you’d have a template structure that you could drop in to each of their folders. So they’re all the same/similar, familiar.

But I’d also be okay with you doing something similar and creating yourself 12.37 Recreational vehicles.

Oh that’s a good one. I could see the need for 13.25 Life insurance, though I’d want to think about making that as broad as it could be before making it ‘official’.

Lucy and I have that included as part of our 13.24 Pension so it didn’t come up as a separate item.

So perhaps this new 13.25 expands to Life insurance and estate planning? Basically: what happens when I cark it?

12.15 My home's user manual, neatly subfoldered by device name as per the advice above.

Think about how often you access stuff related to the pool/spa. Or anything else. The answer is usually a lot less frequently than you think. So having them be children of 12.15 is no problem. (See the video in the blog post linked above if you haven’t already.)

Hope that helps! Great questions.

2 Likes

I noticed this too, and it sent me back to the website 11.01 Introduction page. And what I’m thinking about relates to the other thread about how much JD should cover in terms of tasks and to-dos. The following is just my take, so Johnny (the JD system creator, not sure what to call you!) feel free to clarify if I’m misunderstanding.

The JD system seems to live between two different analogies for physical places. I’ll call the first the “storage” analogy and the second the “workbench” analogy.

Storage: site page 11.01 says “Johnny.Decimal is designed to help you find things quickly, with more confidence, and less stress.” The “problem” it describes JD as solving is “if you stored your stuff in piles of badly-labelled boxes you’d never find anything again.” And the JD solution is figuratively described as “So we get ten shelves. We decide to dedicate each shelf to an area of our life…Each shelf has space for ten boxes. So we need to decide how to categorise the things that we’re going to store.” The storage approach implicitly has a primary goal of helping users “file and find” things as easily and with as little friction as possible. This is how I had previously thought of JD, as essentially helping me take the chaos of my documents giving me the most efficient way to deal with them so my inbox would not become unmanageable. I saw it as a solution with a limited scope that aimed to do something that was not being addressed by the many other types of systems in my life, which included time management, team/project management, calendar/scheduling, and communications. To me, by focusing on this one category of tasks that had been overlooked–filing and finding–it added a lot of value to my life. And let me acknowledge that this one “limited” area of file and find is not at all easy! The workbook shows how much work it can take to figure out a system for this one limited area that matches your life and way of thinking.

Now, the other analogy…

Workbench: A woodworker’s bench can be thought of as a place to temporarily put materials and tools in the same place so you can use them to make something new. It likely has storage for some of the tools, but that is a bonus function. Its primary function is to be a place where work can be done. 11.01 has language pointing to this analogy also: “The goal of Johnny.Decimal is to get you to the place where you do this work. And to get you there quickly, with no stress. That place is a category.” And, “What’s a category? It’s a collection of similar stuff: travel documents; insurance policies; marketing material for your small business; cool sounds that you use in your music production. Any type of ‘work’ you do can become a category.”

See how the category is described both a collection of stuff (storage) and the a place where you take the action of doing things with that stuff? In this last video, you more explicitly discuss thinking about ID folders as places you can “go” and you have all of the things needed to do you work (this comment has a link to a place in the video where you say this). It’s totally fine if you want to explicitly evolve JD into that type of system. To me, that’s a different system. To go to China, I need to take things from different ID folders in my JD system (minimally, things from 11.12 Passports, residency, and citizenship, 11.22 Health records and registrations, and the folders in the folder template for long trips) and do something with them (use them to fill in the visa application form). But, I don’t do that in one ID folder, I store these things in various folders (“storage”) and do the work on my computer and my actual, physical desk.

So, it’s hard to create a great digital system to help you file and find things, and JD is the best one I know of to do that. ID folders can also be thought of as a workbench at times, but to me, that’s a bonus feature that sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t.

Now, task/project management is something that requires a storage system for resources, a place to do the work, and (to add infinite layers of complexity) a way to manage 1) time and (potentially) 2) other people. Holy smokes! I agree with a comment in the other thread that it is important for JD to be aware of the things people do with the things they store so it can be designed to store things in a way most useful to people. But trying to actually be a system to plan and guide the actions required for tasks is so much more complex.

My task manager is Marvin (www.amazingmarvin.com). It’s also a 2-person team, and it has been around since 2017, and they’ve built an amazing product for task management that is insanely flexible. It’s flexible because people want/need so many types of workflows. It’s so flexible that it’s sometimes really hard for people to start using the product, despite many tutorials and help pages. The features page doesn’t even cover all of the options it offers. Look at that list and tell me if you (Johnny & Lucy) want to try to get JD to be a system that can offer the type of flexibility that people demand of task management programs. Or look at Todoist or any other popular progrem. Of course it’s up to you, but I honestly say this out of love–don’t do that to yourselves.

For me, JD is great because storage only has to be an 80%-90% solution. If I need to go to a 2nd or 3rd folder to find something, I’ve just lost a little time, so it’s no big deal. But (just personally) I have trouble thinking of work/tasks in the same way. Maybe this is why I’m not as productive as I want to be, but I find time management much harder than document management. I really want to be able to pick the right thing to do, and lessening the friction in choosing tasks is very hard, so I feel like I need a flexible system to accommodate the particularities of my own psychology. It’s possible that JD’s focus on rigidity that works so well for storage could also work for task management, but something in me is just screaming “Danger!” in that endeavor. Maybe I should try a more rigid system? Marvin can do that. OK, I think I’ve just had a personal breakthrough–thanks for reading this super-long post.

2 Likes

Great suggestions, thanks! Now I just have to convince my brain that it’s ok to have house and vehicle under the same section. :smile:

very relatable :smiley:

And don’t forget when you put these things in their places: USE YOUR INDEX.

If you log even the smallest note in your index: just the words ‘boat’, ‘trailer’, in 12.33, you will find them again in the future.

This is a hard mental shift. I still forget this. I still go to my file system first when I want to find a thing.

Try really hard, over time, to train yourself: start in your index. It is the secret.

2 Likes

adding a sickness emergency toolkit and emergency readiness kit. I think sickness emergency in me and other living things and emergency readiness kit in where I live

1 Like

Quick “bug”. In the Zip file, the category folder for 14 :computer: My online life has a space at the end of it ( 14 💻 My online life ). This is a no-no for some sync services, like OneDrive.

1 Like

Interesting. Analogues of 14.21 My emergency recovery kit 🚨 for your digital life.

1 Like

@cobblepot, thanks for the post with lots of good points to consider. It sounds like it was a thinking process which brought you to new insights too about how to use your various tools. I hear that your experience with time and task management is such that you’re worried that if JD would be expanded to address that, it would bring in so much complexity that JD would be fatally weakened.

I wonder if there is, however, some rich ground for exploring how a JD system could provide ingredients of a task/time management system, or more optimally feed into one. It doesn’t have to be everything, and I think I would agree it should not get ‘features’ like a traditional TM app or system , but I have the feeling there are patterns to ‘stuff management’ which can indirectly influence your state of mind.

I feel like what @johnnydecimal and @LucyDecimal are doing is really thinking deeply about patterns of work, and coming up with subtle but important ways of influencing those patterns which have effect on a psychological level. JD is not an app, it’s not even a system, it’s a practise: think about all your stuff, give everything a name and a place, and suddenly your mind realizes ‘I’m in control of all this stuff’.

So in other words, it can have an influence on task and time mangement indirectly, by being a mental discipline which exercises your mental muscles. If I read back through the original blog post, I get the feeling that Johnny has experienced some of this (maybe by accident?) with his system, and wants to explore this a bit more systematically to see if there is more there.

And maybe the ‘workbench’ mode doesn’t apply everywhere, but there are more and more places where it could apply, and Johnny and Lucy get the time (if everyone buys their stuff :+1: :dollar:) to look for more of those places, for everyone’s profit.

3 Likes

I was finding challenges with my life admin part of my system and was planning to re-order it anyway and then you release your starter pack! excellent timing. I’m combining three areas into one so I’m hoping everything will be a lot smoother.

One thing, where would you put documents relating to income tax? In the 13.11 payslips etc ID?

Do I understand correctly that Longer Trips get the IDs 15.52 through 15.99 and then I need stop traveling? :slight_smile:

or in 13.34 Tax Returns and Accounting?

For me this is always a bit nebulous. I think what I would do is only use 13.34 to gather summaries when I ‘do my taxes’ – the ‘input data’ would probably go with the source of the income like you suggest (i.e. with a payslip or invoice).

But all the ‘final outputs’ like the proof of submission I download after uploading my tax statement, I would put in 13.34.

2 Likes