Now at least I know where to look

I must admit that I cheat an awful lot with my personal J.D system. I put loose files in category folders, I sometimes go a level too deep. Sometimes I don’t even number things. Gasp!

But… I find that using even my loose version of J.D I am much more likely to find things quickly. And allowing myself to cheat a little has helped with some of the friction I found when trying to figure out where stuff should go. And yes, for some reason I remember the folder numbers even when only used occasionally, e.g. “Taxes are in 23”. I love it.

Anyway, I’ve been away from the forums for a bit but wanted to catch up, say hello, and reiterate my endorsement of the entire J.D enterprise. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey Jack! Good to see your face, I hope you’re well. Same to all of the regulars here, it’s been a while, things are quiet, but I hope you’re all fine and healthy.

Just coming out of a cold winter here in Canberra, Australia. The days are getting longer and there’s no longer frost on the ground in the morning. We are in lockdown, like a lot of Australia – we’ve managed to escape it, but the state of NSW which totally surrounds us is running rampant with the ol’ COVID and so it was always going to reach us eventually. I have a house with a garden which makes a massive difference.

I’m running a ‘how to JD’ course at work tomorrow! Still spreading the word. And I’m slowly slowly still working on some software but it’s very much just the time that I can scrape together on the weekend and, like I’ve said before, I’m kinda lazy. :upside_down_face:

Would it be possible for you to share a recording of your workshop?

Honestly it was a bit of a mess! First time, just my team, so I kinda rambled.

But I’d be very happy to put together something on YouTube. What would you like to see?

Hold that thought, starting new thread.

1 Like

@jack.baty

What drove that home for me was when I went to the new local supermarket, they had a central path with perpendicular side paths with the shelves. Each of the side paths is numbered, so I know “organic” is in path 5,spices in 7, etc.

Then when someone recently mentioned JD, and I looked at it (again), it suddenly clicked for me. I am happy I adopted the JD system.

As for “cheating”, I did a bit of that when I started off setting up JD, but found it actually increased friction for me. The JD system forces you to think carefully whether a file is worth keeping and exactly in which location.

3 Likes