I recently purchased the Life Admin System (still thinking about buying the full package) and am in the process of migrating all my stuff into QS:LA. Yesterday, I stumbled upon a question: Where do wishlists go?
The other day I considered buying a new bookshelf. For the moment, I was happy to store the links to shelves I considered buying into 12.04 Links for category 12, but what about longer lasting wishes that are slightly more complex than just a link or two? Would it go into 12.14 Inventory & collections? This ID seems to be reserved for things I already own, not the things I might own one day.
In 14.11 My computers & servers we have “Anything related to purchasing or maintaining a computer”, so I assume when I collect specs I want with my new computer, the file where I list them goes into 14.11. For category 12, I can’t find a similar spot. I also thought about 11.81 Wishes and dreams, but that doesn’t feel right either - should it, though?
Or am I missing something? Would this already justify its own ID, somewhere in the uncharted categories beyond 15? That would feel a bit wrong because my new bookshelf is part of my home, correct?
Hmm good question. Personally I tend to think about stuff that doesn’t exist yet as sitting in the same conceptual space as if it did exist. It just doesn’t.
So then yes, I guess I’d put that bookshelf at 12.14.
11.81 also seems highly relevant if you want something at a bit of a higher level – an ID for any hopes and dreams. (Mine’s empty )
We very deliberately left a few spare IDs in each header, knowing that there’d be some gaps, or just places where people wanted to make it their own. So if that feels better, go for it!
I have the same question and there is a problem with sorting all wishlists into LAS: there are no existing categories that would match for me, i.e. there is no stationery, clothes, perfume, etc.
So I wonder: would it make sense to use 11.81+ Wishlist for that?
That is how I do it: Extra lists under +stationary, +clothing, and especially +books.
(I have a rule that books need to stay on the wishlist for at least 2 weeks otherwise I will impulse buy every interesting title and the README backlog is already enormous.)
Clothes and other ‘personal apparel’ is something we have on the list for the next update. That one’s a gap, yes. (I sit here head-to-toe in Uniqlo: a simple life.)
Stationery probably qualifies as a hobby and won’t get its own ID.
I decided against it and followed Johnny’s advice. So the plans for a new furniture went into 12.14 - alongside the furniture I already owned.
In my perspective, this has two advantages:
When I bought my new bookshelf, I didn’t have to move it from 11.81 to 12.14, it was already where it belonged. Moving stuff from one ID to another is against the rules as I understood them and I try to respect Johnny’s rules (At least in this case, that is - he probably wouldn’t approve of my system extension )
When you don’t buy it, but think about new furniture again a few months (or years) later - how likely will you check your generic wishlist ID for any prior thoughts? If I collect everything in the place it will inhabit once it’s real, the “accidental retrieval” seems far more likely to me. That’s why under 12.13, I have a list of wishes for a future home (a mid-century sunken conversation pit would be so lovely one day). So when I plan on moving again and begin to organise this, I open 12.13 and am immediately reminded of all my ideas on how I’d love to live.
But hey - I’m sure a good case can be made for any other solution as well. In my opinion you should always ask yourself where future-you would look for a thing, and where future-you would stumble upon it if they forgot it existed.