The standard zeros

Just been viewing the 42 Before you start - The standard zeros video of the workshop video. Essentially, this video suggests having standardised IDs under x0 for each Area (e.g. x0.00 index, x0.01 inbox etc).

Furthermore, in the 44 As you complete this process - Lucy's system video, it’s further suggested that the first 10 IDs of every Category are reserved for the same pattern of standardised IDs.

This seems to be a significant extension of the previous recommendations on the website and the workbook. To my reading, this was limited to leaving x0 vacant in every Area in case information needed to be saved about the Area in future. The website does recommend starting IDs at xx.01 rather than xx.00, but not any more than that.

Have I missed something on the website or in the workbook? Are people finding this approach helpful? Having an ID for inbox, notes, bookmarks etc for each Category seems excessive to me!

This evolved as we recorded it. @LucyDecimal can offer more comment as it’s her system, but sitting next to her I can say that she’s finding it tremendously useful.

We’re just in the process of re-organising the system that we use to run the business, and will implement the full standard zeros there. If it works out, I’ll update the main site.

I think it always will, at least on the first few pages. I’m already throwing numbers at people; I don’t want them also to be confused by this starting-at-.11 thing as well.

But it will also – as we say in one of the videos – be totally optional. If you want to start at .01, you’re not breaking a rule.

I feel like Johnny.Decimal needs to be versioned! JD v1.x didn’t have standard zeros. JDv2.0.0 is a breaking change, introduces them. (I’m not gonna do this. Probably.)

Thanks for the explanation. I think what is breaking my brain is that the standard zeros are categories in 00-09 System, but IDs when used for x0categories within other areas.

I think versioning JohnnyDecimal as a standard would be a wise idea when considering making software that goes with it.

Great point.

Yeah. It works but does require bending your head around it a bit. I’d like it to be a little more graceful/intuitive … but I just don’t think it is. :joy:

I totally understand getting to grips with the standard zeros. Especially the higher level system ones. If I was a first-timer to the website my eyes would have glazed over if I’d seen them early on. (They did glaze over a bit in the workshop video but hopefully I hid it. :grimacing:)

However, I’m a total convert. It’s like finding secret compartments in every category to store common things in.

I’ve had to just dive in and start using them so they’re not scary anymore. I kept a list of them handy while I built my system to keep them top of mind.

Apart from the 01 inboxes - which I used to import/sort everything into my system - the full value of the zeros became apparent to me only yesterday as I migrated notes, to-dos, bookmarks, checklists, and other non-file items into my index.

The decision-making became much lighter because many things didn’t require their own ID. They fit logically into the category overall in one of the standard zero folders. For example, I have a packing checklist. I’m not going to make a new ID in my travel category just for that. It already has a home in 16.03 Travel to-dos & checklists.

Anyway, they really appeal to me, but I definitely wasn’t ready for them until the end of the workshop.

(Side note: I was thinking that if I had followed the website and made a system without the zeros, then learned about them a year later … I might be a little annoyed thinking I’d have to re-order all my IDs to accommodate them. But maybe I’d just put the zeros at the ‘top’ of my IDs, from AC.90-AC.99. It doesn’t matter where they are as long as they’re ‘standard’ between categories. I floated this with @johnnydecimal and he said something along the lines of “sure, why not”. :woman_shrugging:t3:)

1 Like