The Academic Problem: mega-thread to come up with a solution

Thanks for this. I have had this hunch, and it’s nice to hear from someone with (more) experience trying this out.

Very relatable, the grass is always greener on the other side of someone’s shiny new plain-text wiki tool Github repo issue list!

two thoughts:

1: I’ve been keeping my notes inside my JD system; so far it’s very clear in my mind which parts are of the ‘ideas, links, and writing’ corpus and which are the static ‘file and find later’ type.

(by 'keeping inside my JD system I mean that both types of things are represented by text files in folders – the text-files-as-index approach.)

The distinction, to your point, is that I do not use Johnny Decimal ID’s for categorizing the contents my notes. There’s just a couple of categories and IDs where I throw in a whole bunch of text files, and interlink with [[insert any personal wiki management system]] tooling. So far, this seems to be working.

the reason I like this is because my notes show up in the same full-text search as my text records of other ‘stuff’.

But on reading your thoughts I wonder if this entanglement might become a hindrance in the future.

Have you done this – a system of notes within a JD system – and run into any issues in the long run?

So my ‘personal knowledge management system’ is really separate, but I have given it a few JD IDs just because it’s one of the things I want to give a place to, alongside al the static stuff. (Analogy: I could look up at my shelf and see my row of notebooks sitting alongside my row of admin folders and my row of reference manuals, textbooks etc. The notebooks get a catalogue ID, but for the purposes of the catalogue they are a closed box).

A similar aspect of the same thing is the reference system: my idea is that my Zotero collection will get a JD ID (still working on moving things over), but that it would indeed be folly to try to give each article I cite some kind of identifier in the JD system!

2:

I suppose this would actually match 15.02 the Creative pattern, where you could – if it made sense and you had the time – consolidate and refile ‘repeating’ stuff into a ‘library’ category after each iteration – or not, and it wouldn’t be a problem.