Questions on my setup

Hi all! Found the JD system and think it makes a ton of sense. I’m working through my structure and could use some feedback.

Currently, I have this:

Employer

• Admin
    • Links (time tracker, ADP) (note)
    • My job description (file)
    • Org chart (file)
  • Goals
    • Current goals (file)

Client Admin

• MSA
    • MSA details (note)
    • Current MSA (file)
    • Archive (folder)
      – Old MSA (file)
  • SOW
    • SOW details (note)
    • Current SOW (file)
    • Archive (folder)
      – Old SOW (file)

Client Division A

• Admin
  • Meeting Notes
  • Reports
  • Presentations
  • Project 1
  • Project 2

Client Division B

• Admin
  • Meeting Notes
  • Reports
  • Presentations
  • Project 1
  • Project 2

I was humming along just fine until I ran into this scenario: I have a project I need to complete that applies to my company goals AND client division A AND client division B. I considered having a top level of “Projects” but think that could get confusing since most of the time, my projects will relate to specific client divisions. Any ideas on how to handle?

Maybe you could separate the client divisions and projects and make the connections as needed via references in the folder names or via tags or whatever works?

2 Likes

Which management system/software do you use to apply all this? If it is not folder-based, it would be more suitable, and you’ll be able to use tagging or direct-linking for your purposes. (i.e. Logseq)

A few thoughts.

First, this might be one of those ‘just decide and remember’ situations. The classic is when people say ‘how do I know whether to put my car insurance in Home > Car or Home > Insurance?’ And the answer is, just decide! :stuck_out_tongue:

Alternatively, leave yourself pointers. Create placeholder items in the folders where your thing isn’t, telling you where it is.

What percentage of your projects fall in to this criteria dictates whether it’s worth changing your overall structure. If it’s a low enough percentage I’d just say try to deal with it, if everything else is working nicely.