Need help - Build a system when managing teams

I’m trying to figure out how to build a JD system for work and I’m getting stuck. I lead a support team of 7 people that cover 3 different support functions and support 4 operational teams.

The stuff I’m trying to organise:

• Person specific documents (med certs, 1:1 notes, annual reviews, leave requests, training completed etc)
  • Team wide documents (planning days, team meetings, team activities etc)
  • Function specific documents (Meeting notes, project documents, reports etc. some in my OneDrive and across Team sites)
  • Operational Team related documents (project work mainly that sometimes cuts across multiple function)
  • Admin docs (recruitments, timesheets etc)

I’m keen for ideas on how to structure this especially as people leave the team.

thanks!

This sounds similar to past jobs of mine but it’s been a while. I’m head-down getting the JD Quick Start pack released for the next few days but will keep this thread bookmarked and come back to it.

Anyone else with more recent experience to share?

I would say, first step – it’s always my first step – is to crack open a mind map.

Fill it out with the structure as explained above and see how it looks. Move it around a bit, try different permutations. Personally I find that brings immediate clarity to the problem and at least gives me a next step.

1 Like

How you going @Jaintika? Not forgotten you, just really busy this week.

Someone else must have some ideas. C’mon people! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi Johnny, I’ve tried out your suggestion and incorporated it into a mind map. I think I need to experiment with a few more permutations to find on what clicks.

Share what you’ve got, let’s have a look.

@johnnydecimal you’re probably the one with most experience doing this in a large organisation … It feels like most of us are just solo organisation nerds :wink:

I do have three thoughts that come up.

It sounds like one of the main challenges is who needs access to what information, and that people fill multiple roles. Not everyone needs all the files. I assume, since it’s seven people, that confidentiality isn’t a huge issue.

1. keep the index separate from the files

This might this be a good case for going heavy on having the index separate from the files?

After all, JD is strictly speaking just a set of numbered titles. The files could be anywhere, as long as there is a clear and standard way to look up those files.

If there was a way to ensure that everyone kept consulting the index and keeping it up to date, then you could keep information for different departments and roles in different places with different access controls.

This is assuming that it’s ok if everyone can see what is where, just that they don’t need to have the actual content.

Of course, adding consulting the index into the workflow/culture is the challenge. I’ve tried often to introduce that kind of change into even small teams, and it’s hard. I feel like having some tools that kind of make it automatic (i.e. autocomplete the IDs when you’re naming new files) would help. Or, create an official curator role, which involves cleaning up and filing newly added stuff on a regular basis (weekly, bi-weekly?). Then maybe as people see the benefits of having stuff well ordered over time, they’ll start filing it themselves to begin with :slight_smile:

2. Standardized repeating sub-structures

Second, read up on the site or in the workbook on standardizing structures within Categories or IDs, if those things repeat. For example, then you can group things by operational team and know that the structure inside there will be the same.

3. Organise by role?

Not sure about this one, but maybe if you organise by role you might find things fit into that naturally, more naturally than if you organise by the type of document or type of activity? Just a thought; the point is, sometimes a very different starting point leads to everything falling into place naturally. Don’t be afraid of long names at first to cover areas and categories that don’t already have an existing/traditional name. If it makes sense in your mind, that’s the important part.

Finally;

This sounds like it’s pretty important to you, but it’s hard to guess what exactly. Care to expand on this? Then we might know how to advise better.

1 Like

hi @Jaintika , I lead a team of over 50, with a setup (somewhat) like yours and contain everything within 2 categories
10 People
11 Processes
From 10.00 to 10.09 are all my standard list of folders
10.00 Index & Trackers, 10.01 Links, 10.02 Internal projects, 10.03 Email, 10.04 Meeting Notes etc. These are generic, and dont relate to one person in particular but the entire team
within 10.00 is my index of course, but 2 key trackers that cover the entire team. which is name, grade, start date, base location and another file for the skills matrix. these are my 2 mostly used files.

Each Person within People will have a numbered file from 10.10
John A 10.10
John B 10.11
currently im obviously able to contain 52 people
within each person folder, i’ll have one master file for the person. same infomation that is in the tracker but here is where i’ll record his/her timeline
start date, promotion from grade a to b, and more detailed notes about their ambitions etc and personal contact details
within the same folder 10.11 i’ll have the timeline of documents
YY-MM Monthly Review meeting, YY-MM Promotion cases, YY-MM Performance reviews. This enables me to contain the physical copies. It doesn’t become unmanageable and the naming convention helps.

for me, holiday requests, time booking, leave are all maintained in a dedicated app. All i will do is note down sickness in their master file. change of grade, achievements etc.
I have an operations team that will tell me what holiday is taken etc which goes into my tracker folder. so unlike you, i dont need to record holiday requests. Its not something I personally need to track. Had i needed to, it could still easily fit into my naming convention.
Only one person who alas we needed to take legal action against, is the only folder where i struggled to manage. fortunately that has only happened once in the 5 years at the consultancy i work for

11 Processes are the copies of policies and procedures
11.10 Resourcing, 11.11 Recruitment, 11.12 Onboarding, 11.13 Probation etc etc all numbered in order of the lifecycle of the team. so its much easier to follow where something is

you mention leavers. I simply move and renumber the file to an Archive folder. Once they’ve left, retired etc the only thing i generally need is the master file for reference. personal information email/phone should i need to contact them. by then of course im not interested in review meetings that have happened in the past. That said, i dont have a huge turnover. so far this year 3 people have moved on. Its manageable.

apologies for the length of the reply. hope it helps however

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, some really useful ideas. I should clarify I am just using this for my files in OneDrive and emails in Outlook.

Here are my first 2 attempts, let me know what you think:

I think either of these will work. They feel clean and simple.

Sorry, I haven’t given this my full attention. Feels like something I need to sit down and look at for an hour and I just haven’t had the time. Keep the information coming, how are you doing? Next few days should be a bit better for me.

Looking at the outlines, it’s clear to me I don’t know enough about the topic to be able to say anything meaningful …

Maybe as a test, you can pick, at random, some things needing filing, and see if you can easily identify where they should go (either in an existing place or an easily-determined new one).

1 Like

Hi @jaintika I am new to forum but have been wrangling with what I think could be a similar problem in my work system. For me it helped to have this system management rule/process

• people who are my direct reports have their own ID in a staff management category where I store thongs like job descriptions & performance reviews but not their work outputs
  • both those people and all the other folks I collaborate with are free floating tags I can attach to any other ID.

This means I never store actual work projects or tasks under person categories. I organize my system in terms of areas and categories of work that is mine to lead or do (including managing my direct reports) but also makes it quick & easy to filter by a person tag of I want to do things like

1. Find that random project I worked on with Jo 5 years ago but can’t remember the name of because I wasn’t directly responsible for it.
  2. Remind myself of all the things Chris worked on last year so l can write their performance review.
  3. Remind myself who helped with that big cross divisional project l led.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes