Johnnybgoode - a new, cross-platform CLI tool for JohnnyDecimal, written in Rust

Hey folks! I am happy to announce johnnybgoode, a cross platform terminal tool to make life with Johnny Decimal a bit easier.

it can:

• Return a path to a given folder number
  • jump you between folders (currently relying on a tiny bit of shell scripting)
  • export a full index as a Markdown file

More features are in the pipeline, including eliminating the shell scripting and changing directories directories, and onboarding tools to help build or move in to your new JD system. But for now, the project is young (v1.0.0 was released yesterday). Since it’s powered by Rust, the code is fast, and very stable.

If you use JD and spend a lot of time in a terminal, johnnybgoode will be a great tool for you to help streamline everything. I hope you take a look at it and try it out!

1 Like

Good on you! How intuitive would this be for someone who doesn’t do much programming or terminal commands? Would you be willing to write or record a short tutorial?

Assuming zero terminal experience, this might be a bit difficult. The documentation folder in the GitHub repo contains a solid amount of information already about getting started with it, and I do plan to add more in the future.

Some features I am planning for the next release include a few things to make the initial setup easier. One thing that doesn’t exist in the repo just yet that I could totally add would be a bare-minimum quick start for users who mostly just want it to export indexes.

The commands are simple, so even for a brand new terminal user, it shouldn’t be terribly difficult. I’ll work on getting a quick start guide put together.

2 Likes

I’ll give it a whack :sunglasses:

Thanks for the work on this!