JD for Evernote

Just getting into JD and curious if there is any reason to NOT use the JD file structure within Evernote?

Tom

I work with OneNote instead of Evernote and use JD-numbers.

I use it in Evernote. Make search super easy.

Never thought to use Evernote with JD. I wonder if there’s a there here worth exploring.

I use J.D for my Evernote filling system and am quite pleased with it. Have been doing so for about 12 months now. All new documents are stored that way, slowly moving older documents over.

With the new price increase for EN I might start looking in how to use this in Notion.

Hi there! May I ask how you set up your system in Evernote? I notice EN has a limitation because it’s only Stacks > Notebooks > Notes, which is not enough for AC.ID Thinking of setting it up with Categories as stacks per a discussion with Johnny. Just trying to get some other ideas. Thanks!

1 Like

I used tags and I just put all notes in one notebook. It’s not ideal but the best work around for me.

Intersting…So did your notes have multiple tags on them? For example, the Area tag, Category tag and the ID tag? And I know the original post was over a year old, so are you still using evernote or have you switched to something else? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi there! I am a fairly big Evernote user and wondering how others set up the Johnny decimal system in Evernote. Another user shared a screenshot where they use tags to set up their filing system. They are using nested tags. May I ask how you set your system up? Just trying to figure things out since there is a limitation and Evernote with stacks, notebooks then notes. Thanks!

No I just used the ID tags, the Area Tag was a place holder. I am switching over to apple notes because of the price increase with EN. I really like EN just don’t want to pay that much. The issue with Apple notes is the tagging system is not as good as EN, :sob:

Here’s my work around though with nested tags, so Area 24, Category .01, ID .01 so some notes (the ones nested) would be 24.01.01 etc.

It was nice to just scroll through all my notes and have them in sequential order.

The other powerful tools is the search feature in EN, I would just search for the Area and all those notes pop up thanks to the JD systems.

Thanks for sharing this! Can I ask a question about the numbering scheme? I see IDs with three numbers (i.e. 24.01.00 Health Ins) Just curious what that means in your system.

Also, I’ve thought he same about the price increase with Evernote. Are you using the folder system in Apple Notes. It can have more levels than EN so just curious. Thanks!

I had to come up with something if I had multiple notes/docs in a nested category. so Health Ins is 24.01 as a tag, then all notes/docs in there start 24.01.01, 24.01.02, etc.

What this does is keep all the EN notes, in sequential order, in my single notebook called Filing Cabinet.

PS, also thought about added a letter, so 24.01.a, 24.01.b, etc.

Have you looked at Bear? I love their tags. The best thing is that if you nest them, it builds you a hierarchy in the sidebar.

So #D85 JD business/00-09 System/03 To-do & checklists# builds that structure, and you can reveal or collapse it as required.

US$30/year or something in that ballpark. (Free, actually, if you don’t want sync. But you obviously want sync.)