Getting the count right

I’m new to the J.D. system and have some basic (and probably stupid) questions. The system says to have ten top-level buckets and then each ten into ten more categories for a total of a hundred. However, if the first one is 10-19, won’t the last one be 100-109? Otherwise, we only have nine buckets if we stop at 90-99.

Similarly, for the categories, do we have a category ‘10’, or do we start with 11? If the latter, we again end up with nine categories instead of 10.

00-09 is typically there as the first set, but reserved for the system.

1 Like

I read that later. So does that mean that 00-09 Meta is included in the ten buckets?

Yeah but feel free to use it as a normal bucket if you need it.

I tend to reserve 00-09 and x0 just because I rarely need that many, and it’s often handy to be able to have something always ‘at the top’. Same reason people name folders 00 Alison's folder in the G: drive at work.

Lately I’ve taken to starting my IDs at .11 for the same reason. I neeeeeever use all 100 so it’s not like I need those first 10.

Great. I wondered if I was counting it wrong :grinning: What about this Q?

Similarly, for the categories, do we have a category ‘10’, or do we start with 11? If the latter, we again end up with nine categories instead of 10.

I mean, do we have a category 10?

Yeah, use 10 if you want to. It’s a category. I just keep it as that ‘thing that can go at the front if I need it’ because I so rarely fill an area with categories.

It’s also rare that I use this category 10 or 40 or whatever! So I probably don’t need to bother. But it’s just a habit by now.

1 Like