JD index text format - ideas and comments, please

Hi everyone.

I got here via the JD Across Multiple Platforms post and I’ve been thinking about this for a few weeks.

I have several devices (Windows/Mac/Google Drive) which I want all to adhere to an indexed structure (JD!).

Having had a play around with it I keep coming round to the realisation that really it is the index which must be established first. I keep moving files around and expecting a eureka moment, but it ain’t going to happen…

I started writing a command line app in Golang. During the first day I experimented with existing machine-readable formats YAML, JSON & TOML. Unfortunately they all create clutter which we’d rather not have to deal with.

Here’s what I am considering. Firstly, my tool will allow you to create a new JD ID and manage the index for you. If you want to hand write the index then the tool can be used afterwards to validate it. Perhaps even some light fixing for whitespace. Secondly, I intend to use a Git repository to store the index remotely. This means that each time I use the tool, it checks first for changes to the index in Git. This way I can have confidence in running the commands across my different operating systems.

So with all of this… perhaps the first thing to do is start a GitHub repository where we can collaborate on the index schema?

Future Thoughts
Suppose I buy a house in the UK. Well, someone else has already defined a JD index area before which has all of the categories. Perhaps I could re-use that :slight_smile: