Ideas help please!: "my ______ index"

The King has spoken, my life has been saved! :slight_smile:
I can fully buy into the logic you have outlined, and it makes perfect sense!

1 Like

How about:

decimaliste ?

According to this dictionary, decimalist has meaning in British English (https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/decimalist) as " a person who is in favour of decimalism". With decimalism defined as: “a method or practice based on units, divisions, or multiples of ten”

So I add an “e” as a bit of an embellishment.

Although I understand your point of view, perhaps it’s the differentiation that would set this system apart from all the others. After all, it’s designed to organise our lives, isn’t it? It can never be too personal.

As far as the index is concerned, I’m surprised that nobody, unless I’m mistaken, has mentioned Vannevar Bush’s Memex. In any case, memory seems a good semantic field to explore. As a last resort, we’re left with Johnny Mnemonic. :thinking: :nerd_face:

Another idea I thought of. Instead of:

• "The Johnny.Decimal System”, and
  • "Your Johnny.Decimal System”.

I came up with:

• “The Johnny.Decimal Way”, and
  • "Your Johnny.Decimal System”.

I just kinda like the way that sounds. It is inspired from something the owner the company I work for said when we came up with some shortcut ways of doing a job. He said, yes it will work, but “it’s not the [company_name] way”.

The 10.10.100 system.
Pronounce ten-ten-hundred. No translation issues.

3 Likes

“A life classification system.”

:thinking:

A useful way to think of the index is as the taxonomy of a system. A stream of consciousness follows:

• The Johnny Taxonomy
  • Taxonomitron
  • Tiny Taxonomy (I like this b/c it implies ease of use)
  • System Taxonomy
  • Indexonomy

Another way to think of the index is as a sort of router that points you to a specific route to get to your stuff.

• Route index
  • Pointer path
  • Route mapper
  • Johnny Routes
  • The Path Map

…It’s also a system of record. This is urging me to use DNS-y terms, as each entry in the index is also a sort of a record:

• SOA (start of authority - meh)
  • Top-Level Index (the “TLI”)
  • Entries could be a FQIN (fully qualified index name). You also have pointers (PTR) and aliases as you do in DNS, and even a mail exchanger (MX :slight_smile:

I’m certain there are other ways to come at all this, I’ll jump back in with anything else I come up with.

2 Likes

A couple words that haven’t come up yet:

• Registry
  • Sitemap

I like registry in that it subtly implies you register things there. Just what kind of things you register is not prescribed, so…you could call it thingamaregistry. That’s too long to my liking though.

1 Like

I’m brand new here but I happened to stumble across this and the word that immediately came to mind was:

• Codex

It could stand for ‘coordinate index’ or ‘code index’. It reminds me of the Pokedex that catalogued Pokemon.

I checked Wikipedia and this is what it says: “The codex was the historical ancestor of the modern book.” I thought it was poetic in a way.

2 Likes

Some play on origo or origin?

Just realized the JD system could have quadrants… :sweat_smile:

(need to have a think on that one > instead of having several systems, the AC and ID numbers could be positive and negative… might not bring much to the table / unecessary complexity)

@clappingcactus

:rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Before I read any of the other replies, let me suggest “Johnny.Dex”.

• Johnny.Dex(imal)” invokes “Johnny.Decimal”.
  • It can be abbreviated “JDex” to match “JD”.
  • .jdex file extension for tooling.

For optional personalization:

• You can substitute your own name (e.g. Lucy.Dex).
  • It’s compatible with up to 26 Systems (e.g. DDex for D01.XX.XX).
3 Likes

Oooooohhhhhh … I like this. I like this a lot

3 Likes

This is cool.

It’s been brought up a few times in threads around here that parents don’t know what to do with their kids. (in a JD way, not in a life direction way)

I think JD is a life-org system. As such, each independent life should have its own system. Johnny.Dex, Lucy.Dex, Chicken.Dex seems like the most sensible, with a unified staple JD hierarchy underneath is the most logical dream for how JD might work for everyone. This way Chicken.Dex can be shared in its entirety with all caretakers without cross-system ID conflicts.

3 Likes

Ping @LucyDecimal who is gonna lose her mind at Chicken.Dex.

1 Like