Freelancers and platforms and clients...oh my!

I’m most of the way through setting up my J.D structure. It’s nothing out of the ordinary, and I am sure many others have something similar. I’ve still a lot of tweaking to do.

I’ve faced a few of the challenges that I have read about in the forums regarding freelancers, multiple clients, and multiple platforms. Here are some of my solutions so far, even if not fully implemented. Bear with me.

1. My J.D. structure is all under a directory (Windows 11) called “My Domain” within the typical Windows “My Documents” directory. I didn’t include the structure here to reduce space. My Documents still has its uses for other apps, but my personal files and J.D. system will be in My Domain.

2. I use “domain” for different collections of areas, categories, and IDs, similar to J.D.’s definition but still with shared apps and hardware. (No client has given me a computer to use…hmmm.) I am using a letter before each domain, as in the letter-number-number (SYS.AC.ID) described in J.D.’s multiple systems recommendations. Thus stuff on our dogs is found in My Domain/Life Administration/Family/Dogs: T01.11.21 Dogs. (Okay, I am much nicer than that and have an ID for each dog, but they did not give me permission to use their names here.) Acme Inc’s domain will start with, you guessed it, “A” followed by some number, for example A35 Acme Inc. I rarely have more than three active client projects at a time and don’t believe that this will become overwhelming or complex.

3. All my personal files are on OneDrive (cloud) with a copy on my computer. No issues. As a freelancer, I have had clients with requirements such as only using their OneDrive account or only their SharePoint even though I use my computer. There’s not much I can do about SharePoint because the clients determine the structure. When I had to use a client’s OneDrive for a long-term project, I set that up as a separate domain, but still kept copies of the files on my computer listed as a separate OneDrive directory. (Sometimes we lose the Internet connection or power where I live, and it’s nice to be able to work on something.) I’ve had other clients that just don’t care and I keep everything on my personal OneDrive account and on the computer, but set up as a separate domain.

4. I also have a Client Projects Area (70-79). I use this for client administrative files, invoices, contracts, the initial negotiations, time tracking, proposals, and other specific client-related nonsense. I did this to avoid having this information in a client’s OneDrive account. You never know who will have access.

5. Some apps I use set up folders or store files in My Documents, or I set them up to do this so I don’t have to hunt around for files buried in the C:\Users\userXX\whatever or some other convoluted configuration that Windows requires. Some examples are my Obsidian vaults when I used Obsidian; MindManager and TheBrain files; files from UpNote (equivalent to Evernote or Bear); and so on. These, where possible, get stored in the categories in 80-89 Media. I also store all my slide decks there rather than by project or client because I often recycle content and it’s easier to find all slide decks in one place.

6. Some folks on the forum have asked about parallel or mirrored J.D.-Obsidian structures. It makes sense to me, up to a point. I use TheBrain app (for info purposes only, no personal connection: https://www.thebrain.com/) and will be exploring how to do a similar, if only partial, mirrored J.D. structure within TheBrain. I don’t want to get too bogged down in setting up an elaborate mirrored structure because I’ll end up fiddling too much and lose the ease of using TheBrain to capture and find information. The beauty of TheBrain, and Obsidian when I used it, is its powerful search capabilities and the links between similar thoughts and information. TheBrain lets me quickly store information, or dump it into the app, and later find and resurface what I am looking for as well as other related knowledge. Assigning IDs or similar might slow me down. I’ll see.

I hope this example is useful for some of you. I’ll check back occasionally to see how confused I made everyone. Thanks for plowing through this post…and thanks, Johnny.