Johnny Decimal System on a podcast

I spoke about the Johnny Decimal system on the latest episode of Hemispheric Views podcast. Direct link to the relevant chapter is here.

2 Likes

A fine segment, other than the besmirching of the lovely city of Canberra. (We’re fine that everyone else thinks it’s odd here … keeps y’all away.)

And as an Englishman I consider the roundabout the finest road feature there is. You people who seem to enjoy stopping at a light when there’s no traffic around are kinda strange, no?

Speaking of which, are you aware of the ‘Magic Roundabout’ in Hemel Hempstead? I’ve driven round this, on the way home from a spectacularly memorable curry. (This was in the late 90s. I’m not kidding, it was that good.)

1 Like

As I have driven around the U.S. I have encountered many roundabouts. They seem to work pretty well, but unlike an intersection w/ traffic lights, if the traffic is high you may be stuck waiting for an entry point for an extended period. This is especially frustrating if a timid driver is ahead of you.

In intermediate levels of traffic, they are quite handy.

I think your point about sitting at a red light when no one else is around is probably the best argument for roundabouts.

It’s an Australian requirement to besmirch Canberra. If I didn’t do it, I’d have to revoke my citizenship. :grin: